Director, Project and Change Management
Job no: 494753
Work type: Administrative Faculty Full Time
Categories: Information Technology, Director/Executive/Management
||Director, Project and Change Management
$132,000 - $155,000
Mines takes into consideration a combination of candidate’s education, training and experience as well as the position’s scope and complexity, the discretion and latitude required in the role, work location, and external market and internal value when determining a salary level for potential new employees.
||The role of the Director of the Project and Change Management Office (PCMO) is to establish a vision, direction, and plan for the functions of the Project and Change Management Office. The Director will lead and mature Mines Information and Technology Solutions (ITS) Department’s capability for project delivery, with the objective of delivering project with more transparency and increasing project management skills across ITS and the institution. This position will be focused on maturing the following capabilities for the Information and Technology Solutions Department for the benefit of the Mines stakeholders: Portfolio Management, Governance, Resource Management, Project Management, Organizational Change Management/Readiness, and Business Process Transformation. They will lead the PCMO in establishing organizational change management services (processes, standards. Implementation of project management practices, and monitoring of projects; and lead the development and execution of structured change management strategy across the portfolio of projects, applying industry leading practices. The Director of the Project and Change Management Office is also responsible for the planning, development, management and implementation of system wide projects and change management strategies and plans for Mines transformational projects and change initiatives in support of the Mines mission. This role expands on the vision to support the necessary behaviors and competencies that drive standardization of practices and successful adoption of new processes, technology, and tools across Mines. The PCMO director will identify the behavior modifications required of the change effort, lead the creation and selection of the change management methods and techniques, and lead a team to execute strategies and plans, managing stakeholder resistance to ensure successful adoption and usage of the new processes and technology. This involves collaboration and partnership with Mines leaders, business unit partners and campus stakeholders to promote understanding of the business objectives and value of the project/initiative and create a coalition of champions for the change. In partnership with project managers, the Director of Project and Change Management ensures that the change management tasks and milestones are integrated into the overall project/program plan.
Strategy, Planning, Designing and Developing Project Management and Change Management Frameworks in Support of Individual Projects
- Set the goals and provide direct oversight to the planning, design, development, implementation, and quality assurance of the Project and Change Management team's operations and project work assignments.
- Serve as an expert and leader in change management best practices and provide internal consultative services to Colorado School of Mines stakeholders.
- Champion and lead the effort to expand change leadership and change management competencies and skills within the Colorado School of Mines.
- Develop a Colorado School of Mines IT Change Leadership and Change Resiliency program to build change leadership and change management as a core competency across IT and the Colorado School of Mines Campus.
- Align the change management methodology with project management methodology to ensure consistency in change management work.
- Engage key IT leaders, Mines leaders, and stakeholders to raise awareness of change management, the PCMO and the governance process for support.
- Provide change management SME to projects to set an example and prove the value, leveraging the buying power of working with change partners for augmenting staff when needed, and to change the culture to view change management as a integral part of project implementations
- Lead the development and management of change management standards, methodologies, practices and tools, available to all of Mines.
- Design, develop and deliver systemwide training, ensure continuous improvement, promote the value and understanding of change management, and partner with project management.
Develop KPI's and metrics as they apply to the measurement of change management effectiveness and/or the progress of change initiatives; develop and manage dashboard reporting or scorecard.
• Create and manage measurement systems to track adoption, utilization and proficiency of individual changes.
• Develop and implement project strategies that align with the Mines mission through communication and collaboration with project stakeholders.
• Lead the PCMO and systemwide teams in the development of core change management deliverables including Change Management Strategies and Plans, Organizational Assessments, Stakeholder Analysis, ADKAR Assessments, Communications Plans, Coaching Plans, Training Plans, Sponsor Roadmap, Stakeholder Impact Assessments, Resistance Management Plans, Change Impact Assessments, Change Reinforcement Plans.
Operational Management and Support
- Lead cross-functional or matrix teams of change management, communications and training experts integrating activities into a cohesive change management, communication and training strategy/plan.
- Work collaboratively to enhance PCMO practices.
- Lead the continuous improvement of change management frameworks and disciplines necessary to support a PCMO including the creation, definition, implementation, and maintenance of the standards, methodologies/processes, and tools.
- Contribute to the PCMO goal of growing specialized skills systemwide by leading, consultation, teaching and mentoring PCMO, ITS, Mines campus leadership and staff on change management, standards, processes and tools.
- Identify, evaluate and manage vendors and consultants hired to conduct change management work on Mines change projects and initiatives.
- Work with Project Managers and project sponsors to highlight and address at-risk projects and associated resource issues.
- Coordinate the development of all project plans for ITS related projects from initiation through closeout.
- Develop and maintain a project portfolio that includes strong reporting and dashboard functionality in order to support institutional decision-making processes.
- Develop best practices, techniques, and tools for project planning, execution, project management, change management, ongoing milestones, deliverable tracking, communication, and key performance metrics.
- Review budget proposals and recommend subsequent changes where necessary
- Conduct project post mortems and create a recommendations/lessons learned report in order to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements.
Design, develop and deliver training to campuses and assist campus with developing and implementing change management best practices.
Coach Mines executive leaders to be active and visible sponsors of change.
Supervision, Personnel Management, and Staff Development
- Coach managers in their roles of communicator/advocate/coach/resistance manager/liaison as they help their staff through transitions
Coach and mentor project managers and business analysts in change management and communications best practices and the integration of project management and change management.
Communicate stakeholder expectations as well as feedback on performance goals
Lead, manage, and mentor a team of PCMO staff and help identify and enact practices that will help the team continue to grow in its vision, mission, and purpose of 1) developing and maintaining an integrated project and change management strategy and roadmap, 2) develop change management skills & increase change leadership and resiliency across our IT organization and the Mines Campus as a whole, and 3) create and manage the standard for change management for the IT and Mines.
Attract, retain, and develops top talent focused on delivering quality products, services, and solutions through collaboration with end users.
Mentor staff for talent development.
Organize and manage the operations of the PCMO
- Master's degree in business administration or a related area is preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- PMI and or PMP Certification
- Experience with Agile Project Management Methodologies
Experience working with a Project Portfolio Management tool like TeamDynamix
Demonstrated experience with project resource and capacity planning
6 + yrs. project management experience in a large organization environment (preferably higher education institution)
Change management certification is preferred
PROSCI Change Management Practitioner certification and Prosci Train the Trainer certification is preferred
About Mines & Golden, CO:
Mines is consistently ranked
among the top engineering colleges in the United States and ranks number one as the best public school in the state for best value colleges. Mines is located in the heart of Golden, Colorado, a western suburb of Denver. The campus location offers a small-town ambiance with close proximity to all that the Denver metropolitan area has to offer with an abundance of cultural events, museums, theaters and sporting venues. An arid climate and an average 300 days of sunshine per year make the area an ideal place to live, work and play. We seek individuals who value a diverse and inclusive community – offering different perspectives, experiences, and cultures that enrich the educational and work experience.
Colorado School of Mines is committed to equal opportunity for all persons. Mines does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), ancestry, creed, marital status, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status or current military service. Further, Mines does not retaliate against community members for filing complaints regarding or implicating any of these protected statuses.
Mines’ commitment to nondiscrimination, affirmative action, equal opportunity and equal access is reflected in the administration of its policies, procedures, programs and activities and in its efforts to achieve a diverse student body and workforce.
Through its policies, procedures and resources, Mines complies with federal law, Colorado state law, administrative regulations, executive orders and other legal requirements to prevent discrimination (including harassment or retaliation) within the Mines campus community and to address potential allegations of inequity or concerns for safety.
||Mines is proud to provide exceptional benefits that include pay, health & wellness and work/life balance offerings. Our portfolio of benefits includes medical, dental, vision, disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, and retirement savings plans. Additionally, Mines employees are eligible for tuition benefits (for employees and dependents), generous paid holidays and leaves and discount programs. For more information, visit Mines benefits.
|How to Apply:
||Applicants will be asked to complete an online application (personal information, demographic information, references, veterans status) and upload a resume and cover letter (optional). References will not be contacted until later in the selection process and you will be informed before that contact is made.
|Background Investigation Required:
|COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
|| Effective December 18, 2021, this position will require documented proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. New employees will be required to provide attestation to their status with proof of vaccination upon hire.
Religious and medical exemptions and reasonable accommodation shall be addressed as required by law pursuant to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s vaccination guidance.
Advertised: Mountain Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
Update your details, view your application and progress
Keep informed about job opportunities at the Colorado School of Mines